Killer Instinct is a fighting game developed by Rare and published by Midway. It hit the arcades in 1994 and was ported to the SNES and Gameboy a year later. The story is about a fighting tournament finded by a mega corporation called Ultratech so they can test out their weird and wonderful creations oh and Ultratech also just happened to of found a way to travel through dimensions and also just happen to unleash a daemon in the process.
Killer Instinct introduced a few new gaming mechanics:
- Double Energy Bar: Instead of fighting for 2 rounds each player has 2 life bars but at the end of the round the winners life bar does not refill.
- Automatic Combos: Normally to perform a combo a player has to press multiple buttons but in Killer Instinct the player can get a combo from the push of 1 button.
- Combo Breaker: When a player is on the wrong side of a long combo they have the chance to break it by inputting a series of directions and buttons.
- Finisher: Each character has at least 2 moves called No Mercy that are used to kill the other players. One of them can be used at the end of a combo and they also have a Humiliation.
- Ultra Combo: These are combos that you can only start once the other player is on their second life bar and it's flashing red.
- Orchid: A spy.
- Cinder: Criminal who's been tested on and his body is now made of flames.
- Fulgore: A cyborg.
- Chief Thunder: Native American revenging the death of his brother.
- Jago: A Tibetan monk following his destiny.
- Sabrewulf: A werewolf.
- Glacius: An aliens captured by Ultratech.
- Riptor: A Velociraptor-Human hybrid created by Ultratech
- Spinal: An animated skeleton.
- T.J Combo: Ex champion boxer.
- Eydol: The daemon that Ultratech unleashed. (Also the games boss fight)